Thursday, November 20, 2014

My Video Game Journey



I was talking to my buddy the other how games have changed. It went from one button and a joystick. Now to elaborate controllers, fightsticks, gaming mice and etc. Being an 80's kid, I have spent a good part of my life playing a variety of consoles. So here's my console journey humans. Now I haven't owned all these consoles, however, I have played almost all of them.


Atari 2600

My siblings and I saved all our money to get this system. Let me tell you how far we've come. We paid $50 for this console. I remember we would go to Goodwill or other thrift shops and buy the cartridges for like $1-5. We got all of these, except Frostbite, E.T. and Moon Patrol are missing from this picture.


Sega Master System:

My uncle gave us his old system when he upgraded to the Genesis. We played the mess out of this system. My brother and I became hardcore SEGA fanboys once we were exposed to this system. We played everything from Space Harrier, Alex Kidd, to Zillion and Transbot. Ah, good times.


Super Nintendo:

My grandparents got this console for us. We were super excited. She got us some weird Marble Madness type game. We did eventually get Super Mario World and Link to the Past, Mario Kart. We played this so much and unlocked.......everything!!! Out official exposure to fighting games were on this console. Where we first played Street Fighter and Killer Instinct.



Sega Saturn:

When I was 16 years old, I got my first job at Little Caesars. With my first check I bought my very own Sega Saturn. I was super pumped about it. I bought just about every game when it came out. I played Panzer Dragon 1 & 2 constantly. I always argued with people that it was better than Playstation and I still kind of believe it.



Playstation:

Upon the death of the Saturn, I did eventually pick up a Playstation. This is where I experienced Final Fantasy 7 and fell in loved with it along with FF8. Then I was officially bit with the RPG bug. I bought Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Legaia and Xenogears. Oh, I can't forget Soul Blade and X-Men vs Streetfighter, love this stuff.



Nintendo 64:

I was late getting this system. However, I still needed one for Mario 64, Ocarina of Time and Killer Instinct Gold and more Mario Kart. And my first exposure to Smash Bros was on the 64. Ah, wonderful times. And yes I did play Golden Eye, but I did it with my friends.



XBox:

Took me a while to get this guy, but I finally did. While many hated the size of the controller, I loved it. I have some big bear hands.



Gamecube:

Before you ask, I did get a black one, hence why I chose it. I love multiplayer games. So when the Gamecube came out I had to get it. It had Legend of Zelda Four Swords, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Smash Bros and Mario Kart. I also got it because Link was a playable character on Soul Calibur 2 for this console, so that was a must. Who remembers, Custom Robo? Had that too, loved that game.


Playstation 2:

Had to get this one for Final Fantasy X, X-2, and 12. Among other games, I had  a lot of them. I was the daily rental store for my buddies. Maybe I should have charged them, next time.



XBox 360:

I had to be committed to X-Box for giving me the Mass Effect franchise, I love that game. I know it's on PS3....now! It was a Microsoft exclusive and I own the exclusive collector's edition. Which is supposedly worth $300 on Ebay. I don't know if I want to part with it though. Hey I had to sell my PS2 and all my games and my beloved Gamecube, don't take Mass Effect away from me! It's all I have left......oh boy.



Playstation 3:

I fought pretty hard against getting a PS3. After rid of my PS2, I didn't want to go down that road again. However, it wasn't a bad decision, the Uncharted franchise is pretty cool and all of my Arkham games are on that system. PS All-Star is on there and that's pretty cool. Got Final Fantasy XIV on this too and it was pretty fun until all the elitist ruined the endgame stuff for me. Nevertheless, a really good console.

XBox One:

Now one of my buddies will tell me that the PS4 is better for some nerdy reasons. That's stuff I really don't care about. In truth I was on the fence because I wasn't sure. However, when Microsoft announced that they were exclusively making a new Killer Instinct. The decision was made for me and I have no regrets.
I mean how could I say no to the black man. Now yes, he showed in Season 2, however it was still a good decision and I'm sticking by it.

Now I'm sure some of you noticed I didn't mention like Dreamcast, Sega CD, Gameboy and many others. I didn't personally own them, I lived vicariously through my brother who owned the systems I didn't have. However, I played most of them if not all of them. Man, maybe we should talk about my MMO or RPG journey next time, might be a good idea. What do you humans think?


No comments:

Post a Comment