Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Is looking good enough?


I'm sorry Brandon Routh, but it's the truth. There are movies out there that sacrifice a good story to make a visually appealing movie. Should that be allowed? I personally don't think so. It's like video games, music or any source of entertainment. Pretty doesn't necessarily make it better. I think Superman Returns was visually really cool. It was a nice nod to Richard Donner and Routh looked great as The Last Son of Krypton. However, that movie was a Donner clone. No disrespect to Donner, he gave us one of the greatest Supermen out there. Here's some movies that had it visually but lacked in story.

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation:

Now this movie by no means was great. It did give a lot of the MK characters that I'm sure many were asking about. However, the story was atrocious. Some of the cast needed a kick in the acting pants. Now I get it, this came out in 1997. Nevertheless, don't just throw a movie out just to say you have a sequel. Give us some substance. At least Legacy gave us something......better than this train wreck.

In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale

This is another movie that visually looked really cool. And they had a full cast to make this movie work. From Ron Perlman, Burt Reynolds, Jasom Statham, I mean they even got Ray Liotta. The movie was just bland. It's like eating a hamburger that just had nothing but meat and bun. I mean it was still a movie, but it didn't have enough to satisfy my movie going appetite. Dungeon Siege was a good game too.

Episode III: Revenge of the Sith:

It was going to happen sooner or later. Before I get beat up by actual Jedi. I love Star Wars, I wore black a lot as a kid because of Return of the Jedi. I made up my own Jedi years ago, with my own name and everything. I read several of the books too, believe me, I love this stuff. I think Episode 3 looked great. However, I had hang ups about the story. I felt it was kind of rushed and was too easy for Anakin to just turn. The death of Mace was dumb to me. The Order 66 mess was an easy way out, stuff like that. I should do a separate thing about all 6 movies, maybe on my Youtube channel. Either way, I still love you Star Wars. George Lucas.....I'm not so sure bro, I think you phoned it in.

Tron Legacy:

This one made me a little sad. I had so many high hopes for this movie. They did a great job on the visual part of it. I still want a light suit with my very own light disc. I think that stuff is so awesome!!! The concept for him going in to save his father and stuff was really good to me. The movie though, was just boring to me. If you know anything about me, I don't get bored......seriously, I don't get bored. If I don't have anything to do, I go take a nap. I really wanted to take a nap when I saw this movie. Now, yes, I have only seen it once. Maybe it's like Napoleon Dynamite. I have seen The Wolverine more than one and I like it more than the first time I watched it.

Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie:

Don't hate my Rangers!! I had to get that out first. I personally think the movie looked great. Although I did feel it did get a little television for a movie. But it still looked good. I think of all the stories they could have used.....Turbo, really? Story was pretty generic to me. Zeo would have  been great, but they didn't ask black folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment