Friday, October 31, 2014

Who Really Cares?


I was having a discussion with some friends after seeing Days of Future Past (love that movie). She made it clear she liked that Wolverine and Sabertooth were siblings. After fighting the urge to throw her into traffic, I explained how that wasn't canon. To my surprise, she didn't care, she liked it and said it made a good story. This situation made me wonder. When it comes to the accuracy of the characters we love in the cinematic universe, who really cares?



Film Makers:
I've mentioned this in a previous post saying the difficulties of giving us everything we like in a comic book movie. However, it can be done without sacrificing the core of a character. It seems like I'm always messing with Wolverine: Origins, that's because I am. It had the potential to be like the comic series and ended up being like.....I don't know, Lonesome Dove. I know that's a stretch. We all know people like Hugh Jackman, Edward Norton, RDJ and Chris Evans love these characters and do their best to represent them the best to their ability. There are those however, who either don't get it or don't care how to properly translate them onto film and that's where it hurts the movie. Cough, Brett Ratner, cough!!



Everyday Moviegoers: 
This is where my wife fits in. Now, yes, she likes the Avengers and thought Days of Future Past was awesome. She even got mad at me for seeing the first Cap movie without her. She's a big fan of Arrow and now The Flash. However, she knows nothing of their actual back story or anything like that. She just knows if she likes the movie or not. And when I explain certain things about the characters or the show that was correct or not. She gives me a, "You're such a nerd." look. And most moviegoers are probably the same. They are familiar enough with a movie to want to go see it. They want the movie to be fun and entertaining, which explains why most humans love Dark Knight Rises.....I'll stop.



The Fans:
We're the ones that pay attention to everything. I think we pay attention too much sometimes. Nevertheless, we are the ones that set the bar for these films. We are the ones that write blogs like this critiquing our actors, writers and directors telling the story of our favorite characters. Which is important, we need to keep these guys honest, to the best of our abilities.

Just keep in mind, we may be the fanbase. However we need the everyday person to like this stuff. We are the minority of the theater patrons. We need people like my wife to like these films to keep them coming. Do they need to be like us? Not really, it would be great though, it would make better discussions over dinner. We just need them to be interested enough to go. So I say let's rally people like Jimmy down the street and have him see Age of Ultron.

No comments:

Post a Comment