Thursday, July 24, 2014

Video Game Movies, should they try anymore?


We all want our favorite comic books or books in general as movies. It shouldn't be a surprise that we have the desire to have our video games on the silver screen as well. However, they haven't 100% been the greatest. And with the possibility of having Uncharted, Halo and Assassin's Creed on the list to be made, I'm afraid of the outcome. Will they be a success? I don't know maybe, but I don't know. Nevertheless,I'm going to list a few that have succeeded and a few that failed. I'm sure you know which ones I'm thinking of.

The Bad:


Super Mario Bros:

This one is on the short list of one of the worst adaptations ever!! No to blame Bob Hoskin and Dennis Hopper. They had to deal with this atrocity. But having John Lequizamo as Luigi was atrocious. There was so much they could have done with it. With a Lord of the Ring setting with a Mushroom Kingdom twist to it. It could have worked. Instead we got......I don't even know what to call it. Nods to Yoshi though, he looked kind of cool.

Street Fighter the Movie:

Now I'm not talking about the anime, that was fantastic. I'm talking about the train wreck the US attempted to make. I say attempt and I mean it. I thoroughly enjoyed Raul Julia's performance. He delivered the best line in the entire movie and is still being used to this day. However, this movie was no good. No powers, horrible story and mediocre fighting, this movie at best is good for making fun of. I was hoping JVCD would have delivered a legit Guile. Unfortunately, all he gave us was corny one liners and no sonic boom. Flash kick was pretty decent though.

Legend of Chun Li:

There are some other ones I wanted to bring up. However, I really had to fuss about this one. From one bad Street Fighter movie to another. Legend of Chun Li was garbage. I was okay with Robin Shou being Gen and Michael Clark Duncan playing Balrog. And Chun Li's quest to avenge her father was a great story arc. However, the writing was done by a cat dancing on the keyboard. Vega was anti-climatic, Bison was completely underwhelming. He was not even close to the person he was supposed to be. It was wrong from beginning to end. And they had the nerve to end it with a possibility of a sequel. Don't you dare. I have nothing against Kristin Kreuk. I however, believe the person who hired was a a fan of Smallville and wasn't looking for a good Chun Li. Shame on you!!!


The Not So Bad:


Tomb Raider:

I thought this movie was great. Angelina is hot and she played Lara like she should have. She was physical, smart, good with guns, witty and completely......hot. The other worldly artifact and the race to get it from the antagonist was pretty good. I was very happy with the outcome of that movie. The sequel lacked something the first had. We definitely need a reboot of this but with someone just as good as Angelina.

Hitman:

This movie was on FX a while ago. I was pretty impressed with the movie. In all honesty, I've never played the games. They don't really appeal to me. I was aware they existed when I heard this was coming out. I'm not going to lie. This movie me made a fan of Timothy Olyphant

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children:

I really liked FFVII, like I'm sure a lot of us did. So when I heard about Advent Children, I was super excited. Square Enix didn't let me down. Now yes, the story was a little confusing with the whole geo-stigma and the planet being angry and stuff. However, I was still very happy with the end result. I owned the movie and watched it plenty of times. Now if Square would get off their butt and remake FFVII like Advent Children, we will all be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment