Saturday, July 19, 2014

When Hollywood gets it right!!


Hollywood had made some odd choices for who should play what roles. However, there were some great decisions that were done as well. Now yes, there had been other influences but it was still a right decision. Here are some to name:

Patrick Stewart as Charles Xavier:

Now let's be real, we were expecting this and hoping it would happen. We all had this discussion. Patrick Stewart was destined to play two comic characters on the big screen. Charles Xavier and Mister Freeze and 50% success isn't that bad. When he was cast, we were like, "Of course he is!!" Even he likes the role, can't get any better than that.

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine:

Let's be honest. When we first heard he was cast. We all had problems with it. He was too tall, he's too skinny. He's only done plays. We had our issues and rightly so. However, has Hugh punched all of us in the mouth with his performance. And it seems the older he gets, the more ripped he becomes. He's proven time and again that he's pretty committed to this character. Now if only they would give him a really good script to work with. The Wolverine was close but fell short.

Kelsey Grammer as The Beast:

That was another as it should be moments. I mean I couldn't think of anyone else better suited to play this character. Kelsey Grammer pulled off a sophisticated man with a large vocabulary and the affinity to quote dead poets as Dr. Frasier Krane. So it wasn't a surprise when he was cast as Dr. Hank McCoy.

Christian Bale as Batman:

If anyone had seen Equilibrium, you would have seen Bruce Wayne in the making. I said it after seeing that movie, "He looks like Bruce Wayne, he could pull it off." If you haven't seen that movie, do so, you'll know what I mean. I think he didn't disappoint us. With the issues with his voice aside, Bale did the character a great justice. Okay Ben......you have a some big boots to fill bro.

Andrew Garfield as Spiderman:

I know we have some Toby McGuire loyalist out there. Don't get me wrong, Spiderman 2 will always be my favorite. However, Andrew Garfield brings the best of Peter Parker from both the 616 and Ultimate universe. He does it so well, you can't hate on him. Now if Marvel just commit and get him on the Avengers, we'll be golden.

Chris Evans as Captain America:

I was a little worried. He kind of butchered Johnny Storm in the FF franchise. I know it wasn't all his fault, but I was worried nonetheless. However, he's proved me quite wrong since then. Winter Soldier is by far my most favorite Marvel film of 2014. You're doing us proud Chris, keep up the good work. Base on what's happening with Cap in the comics, I wouldn't mind seeing Anthony Mackie donning the shield since Falcon is the new Cap. Gotta support black folks.

RDJ as Iron Man:

You know when something just goes so right you almost don't believe it is true. That's how I felt when RDJ was cast as Iron Man. I couldn't believe how perfect it was. Then I started to believe it was too perfect. Once again, another actor hasn't failed us. RDJ has done all of us proud. He got me to like Iron Man again (Civil War reasons, read the series, you'll understand). I know he can't do it forever, but I want him to. He plays him so well.

Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury:

Sorry Hasselfhoff, this was a shoe in ever since Ultimates were released. For those who read that series, it was no secret that Marvel was setting this up. I mean he looks exactly like Fury from Ultimates, this was no accident. I know Stan Lee wishes him to be angrier. I however, like how Samuel is playing Fury. I look forward to seeing how he fixes everything after Winter Soldier and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Henry Cavil as Superman:

I was at Wonder Con when he hinted at himself playing the Kryptonian and I was kind of okay with it. I mean he looked like Clark and he was already pretty fit from the Immortals movie. Although that movie was garbage I had faith in him. I know there are a  few of you out there that had problems with Man of Steel. It's personally one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time. If The Sapphire was ever done a certain way, Man of Steel would be it. I may have my reservations about the Superman v Batman film. However, I'm sure Henry won't let us down.

I could go on and on, but it's getting late. I like to do some honorable mentions though before I depart. Daniel Craig as 007, Heath Ledger as The Joker, Zoe Saldana as Gamora, Edward Norton as The Hulk (Mark is an excellent replacement, but I love Incredible Hulk), Jason Mamoa as Conan, just to name a few. And I'm sure I'm forgetting some (2 am brain working right now). So do me a solid and drop a few that I'm sure you all will think of.

5 comments:

  1. Ian Mckellen as Mag, Chris Hemsworth--Thor,

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can you leave out J. K. Simmons?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma Stone as Gwen. Part of it was the chemistry she and Andrew have, part of it was completely her.

    Also, surprised you didn't mention Alfred Molina as Otto Octavius. He was phenomenal.

    Oh...and just cuz he was awesome, Evan Peters as Quicksilver. We all know it was how he should be portrayed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll determine who is the best Quicksilver after Age of Ultron. There were so many, I'm sure everyone would remind me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first comment was erased when I signed in. >:O

    Here's my shortened version.

    Tom Hiddleston as Loki
    Anthony Hopkins as Odin
    Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner/Hulk
    Chris Pratt as Star-Lord
    Zoe Saldana as Gamora
    Dave Bautista as Drax the Destroyer
    Lee Pace as Ronan the Accuser
    Josh Brolin as Thanos
    To top it all off, excellent voice acting by Bradley Cooper as Rocket Raccoon and Vin Diesel as Groot.

    ReplyDelete