Saturday, June 7, 2014

Creator vs Creator, who really wins?



I know for a fact that I would fight hard to make sure my books are done correctly on the silver screen. However, there are some things in my work that can be subject to.....adjustments. The reason why I say this is because of the whole Ant-Man controversy. I'm just worried about this because. It's going to to come down to Marvel and ourselves so determined to get this film done for Phase 3 we'll be willing to take anybody to make this film happen. And what will we get? Possibly a good film, or a flop? Are we willing to make that dice roll?

Look I get it, you're Marvel and you want your films to be a cut above the rest. With Sony and Fox running around doing whatever they want with your films (TASM was fantastic though) I get why you may be persnickety with how your stuff is dealt with. But should you bite the hand that feeds you? I mean think about it. You want your movie to be one way and say a director is looking at it from another angle. Is really so bad if they try it a different way?

My brother is an artist. I would give him an idea about one of my characters, how I want them to look. He works on it and shows me what he's done. Does it look exactly what I ask? Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't? Is that bad? Majority of the time no, he's done some things with my characters I never even imagined and I was thoroughly impressed. He didn't take anything away, as a matter of fact, he added to them. I think Marvel needs to look at it that way.

These different directors are artists in their own right. They are inspired from different things, different elements we may not think of. We all are as diverse people. Maybe they'll do it a way you haven't imagined. I can tell you this, I'm sure if you give them just a little creative freedom (just a little), you'll be amazed at what they produce. They're not trying to create this character. It's done, you've already handled that. Let them paint the picture (hopefully the right way) for all of us to enjoy. I mean you let Iron Man 2 & 3be what they are and you're okay with it. Give them a chance to prove you wrong. Because if you don't, we all lose. And you'll be DC/WB with their empty promises and failed pilots (Wonder Woman). I promise you we all don't want that.

1 comment:

  1. I think the director should like the story, but even if he doesn't and it's just a payday, or it's his job because he is under contract with the studio. He should understand why the story is great and why the fans like it. He should understand why it's magical to people and why it gets them exited, and then make that fit on the screen.

    ReplyDelete