Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles What's with the hating?


I love the turtles. I'm sure most of us who grew up in the 80s and 90s love them too. With the recent development on the new film there had been some ups and downs. I'm not going to lie. At first they had me worried when they originally were going to have a extraterrestrial origin. I know there was some concern about how they look and many other worries. Now that I've seen the recent trailer, I'm not that worried. I have my reservations, but I look forward to seeing this movie. However, there's a lot of hatred for this project and I think I know why. Here's what I think it is and here's my issue with this hate.

Their look:

People are complaining about how they look. They hate their noses and their mouths. And how they all differentiate from each based on what they are wearing. Here's my issue with that. Real turtles have noses, they aren't round and bulbous. I know you're hating on the mouths. How do you expect them to express themselves and enunciate properly without actual lips? They can't do that with beaks like real turtles. Keep in mind the key word "Mutant" in their title. The point is that they are mutated turtles, more humanoid to a certain degree. Calm down. And their swag or lack there of, lol. I'm okay with that for this reason: 
All these iterations I love. As you can tell, there were slight improvements in their looks. However, they pretty much looked the same. I know we all can argue about the little nuances about each character to explain their differences and I would agree with you. Can't we all agree that the 2012 series actually gave them more physical features to make them all different, from freckles and gaps in their teeth to height and eye color. So it would make sense to me that they would look different in the movie. Are they going a little crazy with their gear? Possibly, but does it really hurt the characters?

Megan Fox:

Many hate Megan Fox for different reasons. I don't like her for hurt lack of knowledge of some of my favorite characters which roles she were offered. And the disrespect that came out of her stupid mouth. Nevertheless, a lot of us don't like her. I will agree she would never had been my first choice for April O'Neil, but they didn't run it by me. However, I don't think we should crucify a movie for one or two crappy persons involved (Green Lantern).

Michael Bay:

I honestly don't know why people hate this director. He's done some great films in my opinion. From Bad Boys to The Island to Transformers series. He hasn't failed me......yet. He almost messed up with his first idea for the four brothers. I'm giving him a chance now that he's wised up. Let's be real, there are some really crappy directors out there, who have done some weird things. And there are some really good directors out there who jacked up movies too (X-Men: The Last Stand, The Hulk, Elektra, Punisher: Warzone, Reign of Fire). However, these guys are still respected, still working and are doing some big projects. I'm not saying he's going to do this perfectly. Shredder's current evolution has me puzzled, but we'll see if there's a reasonable (cringe) explanation of that.

In the end, we're all going to see this film. I would love to be pleasantly surprised. In truth, I'm there to see my favorite heroes in a half shell kick some Foot in the teeth. See their relationship with each other and their epic throw down with......Robo-Shredder? Cyber-Shredder? Slap-Chop! Either way, give it a chance and calm down on the hate until we see the full end result. If I think it's garbage, I'll write a new blog about it, if I hate it.


No comments:

Post a Comment