Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Will it ever be enough?

Being a comic book nerd, I always look forward to seeing these characters in movies. I like it when they focus on certain aspects of the characters and their storyline. However, as a fan is it realistic to demand everything from a certain movie? Or should we be content to a certain degree on what we get? And the next thing to ask will it ever be enough for the fans?

 I ask these things because I've learned in my time from watching the first X-Men, Spiderman and Fantastic Four to Winter Soldier, Godzilla and Days of Future Past just recently is that you'll have haters. You'll always have people who are never happy with a movie or the way the director tells the story. Sometimes I think it's because we don't get everything we want in a film, especially when we're led to believe it's going to be a certain way (X-Men: The Last Stand, Iron Man 3). However, I've seen movies give everything they want and people are still not happy. Why is that? It's because it depends on whether or not they like the actors or how the movie made them feel in the end. Here are two examples of that:

Green Lantern:

I actually love this movie. My wife thought it was completely cheese ball (she's know nothing of GL). However, a lot of people to this day don't like this movie. And in truth no one has given me a legit reason why. I mean we got everything we wanted. We got the other Lanterns, the planet of Oa, the Guardians and even Parallax as the villain. The oath was spot on, the use of the rings were done really good. Mark Strong was an an awesome Sinestro and Gigawatt was made for Michael Clarke Duncan. However, people hated this film.

The Dark Knight Rises:

Now, I don't hate this film. However, anyone who knows me know I have my issues with this movie. I mean we didn't get anything close to what we wanted in this film. They combined three different stories, which are separate movies in their own right. They did stuff that didn't make sense. From Bane's source of strength and his background story. To Talia Al Ghul having a vendetta against Batman which didn't make sense. To the weird mission Bane was on. Alfred bailing on Bruce to Bruce's injuries (if you do the math) from only 6-8 months of being Batman. It was kind of dumb. I remember reading the reviews. People having standing ovations and were brought to tears from this film. What?! We as fans didn't get what we wanted from this film. And yet people to this day love it. Why?

I believe it's due to who was involved. Dark Knight Rises was a pretty hype film. Christopher Nolan is a good writer and director. Bale, Oldman and Caine are awesome actors and brought a lot to this film. However I think it was way overrated for the lack of legitimate story. Green Lantern probably had some legit hang ups. However, they actually brought a lot of the elements that were needed to do a solid GL movie. I think people were hating on Ryan Reynolds and that was why it was hated. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Green Lantern was a good comedy film. No, seriously. They spent too much time on Hectoring Hammond and not enough on everything else. I've seen the full version of thr film, and the extra 10 minutes give a little more depth to Hal Jordan. By the end, he's saved the Earth and convinced the Guardians to not use the Yellow Lantern. Sweet. He even convinced his skeptic teacher, Sinestro. Queue end credits sequence where Sinestro puts on a yellow ring anyway because hey! Sequel! Give us your money! Sure, I get the setting up for a sequel thing, but after all the work Hal put towards convincing everyone he was the boss and could do it all, for Sinestro to just say nah, I'm good, I'll go to something that's been proven to be inferior to you is just ludicrous. Wait til the sequel and write a better explanation for his descent into villainy than "because I feel like it".

    Rant aside, I can watch and enjoy it still, because it's likely the only "live action" GL movie we will get,

    As for as the Dark Knight trilogy goes, massive potholes in all 3 films, characters make stupid choices. Batman is too angry and isn't much of a detective or genius, he is basically a fighter only. Which means instead of being one of the smartest people alive, he just pays people to do things and runs around punching things. Not. Batman.

    Still watch the films though, there are good points to them as well.

    ReplyDelete