Saturday, June 21, 2014

Strong Women in Comics


I was always drawn to strong women. Or at least women I thought were strong. It partly has to do with my mom. She is a strong women, she raised my sister to be pretty strong person herself. Plus she loves strong characters in movies and comics herself. She's a big fan of Ripley in the Alien films. So I obviously picked up on that. So here is my small list of strong women I've always liked in comics.

Storm:

She pretty much goes without saying. She is also my mom's favorite. It's because of her I kind of had a problem with Halle Berry's portrayal of Storm. I mean this woman is tough as nails. Her powers are awesome, her leadership is superb. Loved her in the X-treme X-Men series. She was even dangerous when she didn't have her powers. Tough as steel but soft like silk. There's a reason Wolverine had mad respect for her.

She-Hulk:

I like her for the obvious reasons. She's buff, she's hot and I love that she can carry me. Carry me Jen!! One of the other reasons I like her is that she's the best at what she does. And what she does is attorney at law. I believe she's one of the smartest women of the Marvel universe. She attained an advanced post-baccalaureate degree. And is one of the top legal scholars in the universe, earning a masters of law degree. I mean she's wicket smart. 

Spider-Woman:

Jessica been through some mess. I mean she was turned into a spider-mutate as a fetus. Her training was tough in itself, she was trained by Taskmaster. I mean to succeed in that, she had to be pretty tough. I believe she even defeated Taskmaster herself. If any of you know how tough Taskmaster is, that is no small feat. I don't know if she's part of S.W.O.R.D. anymore. However, there was a reason she was recruited into that organization. 

Big Barda:

This is another woman who can pick me up without an issue. Barda is very......big, she's like 7' tall. I think she's naturally the tallest woman in DC universe outside of Giganta. She is as tough as she comes. I mean she lived on Apokolips, the home planet of Darkseid, which already sounds rough. And she was part of the Furies, which has some pretty brutal training and she lived through it. And she's pretty.....well pretty.

Wonder Woman:

I couldn't have Barda and not have the Amazonian. Wonder Woman really doesn't need introduction. Right now I'm not getting into the whole Gal Gadot thing. That's really for another time. I love her, she's pretty freakin awesome. She's fantastic, she can match Superman in strength, speed and skill. I wish she played better on Injustice though, we'll leave that for another day as well. I love the art done of her too. To this day, Michael Turner and Terry Dodson I believe have drawn her with some literal justice. There's a guy on deviant art under the name Nebeziel drew her pretty awesome too. Turner will always be my favorite.

Sara Pezzini:

I have a level of sentimentality to this character. She was my first exposure to the man who was my favorite artist, Michael Turner. She's the best too. Not only was she a NYPD cop, which requires you to be pretty tough. She was also chosen by the sentient alien weapon known as the Witchblade. She's pretty good with her revolver and hand to hand combat. Even when she was pregnant she was taking down thugs like a boss. That's why this lady is on the list of my favorites.

I'm sure you all have your favorites. And I know there are a lot more ladies in the comic universe who are pretty tough. There's Kitty Pryde, Jubilation Lee, Black Canary, Barbara Gordon and so on. But these are the ones that I appreciate the most. Plus they all can kick my butt, which is pretty awesome to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment