Monday, June 16, 2014

Death of a character, should we care anymore?


I remember the day Superman "died" in the comic books. My buddy came running to me at school. The look on his face, it was like someone died in real life. What's funny was when he told me I was pretty shocked as well. Then later we find out that he survived, we were very happy. However, this trend continued to happen over and over again through the years. And now the current series killing Wolverine, we may be losing another character. My reaction was like, "Eh, he'll come back." I'm serious I really didn't care. Why is that? It's partially because they usually don't die permanently. Well most of them. And I'm stuck to wonder how this jam works.

Who should die?

I'm not too surprised how this goes. Its usually the characters we care about the most. Obviously, the death of people like Cap and Batman was a big deal. And how they affected the universe was crazy. Or the death of certain villains affect the universe as well. I personally believe they pull it out of a hat and whoever is chosen they work them into a larger story arc. Or make their own (Wolverine) when they plan to kill them.

When should they return?

In certain situations I can see how a character returns. I'm still curious how they determine that. There are some I'm pretty impressed with. I like how Joss Whedon brought back Colossus in Astonishing X-Men. It was done really well and I praise him for great writing. Granted, sometimes its a fake out. Like Superman's supposed death, the same for the Human Torch. I get those cliffhangers and why they're done. You know, shame on us for thinking they were dead and not being faithful or patient enough to read the entire arc. Hats off to the fake outs. Any mythological characters, people like Thor and Hercules and etc. Their return is set on  a different level of rules and I almost assume they are always capable of returning. I actually like how the House of M phenomenon reset the universe to bring back people like Osborn and Hawkeye. Then there are the weird returns. Where the explanation transcends time and space (Captain America, Batman). Their explanations seem to be odd. Like, "Darkseid has two different Omega Beams and he used the other one on Batman." What?!

Who stays dead?

Now here's the real question. There are plenty of characters who die. And characters like Jean Grey, May Parker have returned plenty of time. However others like, Gwen Stacy never return. Why is that? I personally don't think there are any rhyme or reason to the choices. I think they wrestle in the break room to figure that stuff out. Personally I never get it and I kind of don't care. They always take back what they do in the comic books. It always leaves me dazed and confused.

Being a reader and a fan of certain characters I will get caught up in a decent story. So it wouldn't surprise me when they kill a character I personally like, how I'm affected. Then I get all fussy about the situation and super analyze it to find out later they never actually died. Or they returned as a clone or a robot or Johnny Depp. Either way, we should never ever be surprised a dead character returns and things return like it never happened. Thank you comic books for messing with my emotions. You owe me a Coke and a hug.

3 comments:

  1. Firstly, death in comics is announced with big, bold letters, long before characters even kick the bucket. By the time they do, most have already accepted that the character will die. It is completely unlike life itself, where death gives no warning. Secondly, it has been long established in comics that death is not permanent, with very few exceptions. Those few exceptions seem to be the ones that matter the most and hold more meaning. Without the death of Thomas and Martha Wayne, Bruce Wayne would never have become Batman. Without the death of Uncle Ben, Peter Parker would never have become a hero, Spider-Man. The later death of Gwen Stacy solidified Peter's way of life and his determination. The death of Nora Allen was what drove Barry Allen into the field of forensic science, which led to his superpowers and him becoming The Flash. Death is used as a huge motivating factor in a lot of character's lives. In all of those cases mentioned, the dead characters stay dead. Sure there a clone plots and things, but by the end, the dead are still the same. I think death in comics can matter, but only if it is permanent, not broadcasted beforehand, and actually adds to the story. That of course, is not something most writers are interested in doing. Certain characters appeal to different readers, killing off fan favorites might upset some and you would lose business. I, for one, think that the medium should change. Death should be permanent in comics. It would make it less like a soap opera that plays with your emotions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the motivational deaths, believe me. However its the ones that return. I mean the of Jean Grey was a big change for Scott. But she returned, so it was kind of pointless. And her permanent death didn't make him better or worse. So why do it is my thing. Thor's death wasn't permanent, neither was Osborn's or Hawkeyes. So why do it? It's a waste of paper if they're just going to bring them back.

      Delete
    2. That's my idea entirely. Just do it and make it permanent.

      Delete